Schedule Changes

Kipp Atlanta Collegiate has a rigorous academic curriculum that not only challenges its students but it also gives them a sense of responsibility.

To prepare the students for college and beyond, the administrative staff decided implement “AP For All” policy. The new 2017-2018 schedule was created to fit all of the AP and non-AP classes into the scholars’ schedules.

Graduating Class of 2018

Being that this is Class of 2018’s last year at Kipp Atlanta Collegiate, the new schedule change took away a lot of privileges that were offered in the previous schedules that are not offered now.

For example, tech valley, advisory time, and lunch time. Tech valley was available to both 2018 and 2019 but sadly it was no longer available after the class of 2020. Tech valley allowed students to have free time to enjoy themselves at lunch by allowing them to use their phones and play basketball in the gym.

Lunch

As a result of the recent addition of the freshman class, the school has reached its maximum occupancy. This has not only affected the class sizes but it also affected the lunch process. It gives the students less time to eat and makes the process for the distribution of food much more complicated than necessary.

Student might have the option of buying their lunch from A La Carte but, being that it is the more preferred option for lunch, the line is too long. With the 35 minutes available for lunch, there isn’t enough time to wait and eat. Some students end up taking their food to class with them and that’s not even a for sure option because there is no eating in class.

Class Time

Currently, on Mondays, Tuesdays and Friday, we have 55 minutes in class and on Wednesdays and Thursdays we have 95 minutes in class.

The problem is that teachers don’t get enough class time on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays due to the miniscule amount of time given and too much time on Wednesdays and Thursdays, overwhelming students with the workload that’s pushed to those days.

Release Times

The lunch isn’t the only thing that has the students confused. Due to the new changes in the schedule, there are three different release times in one week that not only inconveniences the students but the parents as well.

It mainly affects the students who are currently working because their work schedules may not align with the three different release times.

In relation to the work issues, some parents have set plans to pick up their children at a certain time and this can cause issues that put the students at risk of not being able to get home.

Keepin the students safe should be the number one priority for administrator , the new schedule interferes with that.

Conclusion

The current schedule has many problems that tampers with scholars and teachers alike, causing confusion and disruption throughout our daily school lives. From the shorten class time to confusing release timing each day, scholars can begin to have problems with the schedule because of the complexities of the set up that kipp have decided to follow.

Be the first to comment